Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Artist's Way: Week Three, Post Two

Synchronicity. Have you heard of this?


You know, when things occur by “coincidence” but seem to be connected or related to exactly what you needed or wanted at the exact right time? You’ve heard of this, yes?

Well, Julia tells us to be prepared for synchronicity showing up in our lives. Because the more we try to connect to the Creator, the more he’ll show up!

This is especially true if we pray (which she recommends) for connection, guidance, and greater creativity and inspiration.

Julia offers an interesting insight about prayer: “Answered prayers are scary. They imply responsibility. You asked for it. Now that you’ve got it, what are you going to do? … Answered prayers deliver us back to our own hand” (p. 62).

Have you found this to be true? I’ve never really thought about the responsibility that comes with answered prayers. I’m normally more focused on getting an answer than on what I’ll do when it happens. But, I’m giving it more thought.

Since reading this chapter for the week, I’ve started to pay attention to possible serendipitous moments. Though, I will admit, part of my problem is I talk myself out of accepting something as synchronistic.

But, I’m working on it!

Because it’s a lot more fun to think that miraculous things are happening all around me, guiding every step of the way and making life wonderful.

The alternative is to think that things happen by chance and no one cares either way. That’s a bummer.

So, I’m all in for synchronicity! And I’ll let you know if anything happens…



UP NEXT: A sampling of this week’s creative exercises and why my lack of memory ruins everything!

No comments: