Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Artist's Way: Week Six, Post Two

“For those of us who have become artistically anorectic—yearning to be creative and refusing to feed that hunger in ourselves so that we become more and more focus on our deprivation—a little authentic luxury can go a long way” (p. 108).


When I read this sentence, I had a few memories pop into my head: me, reading a book about living a literary life; me, buying art supplies for an online class I never attended; me, getting out my guitar to work on a new song, but only trying the first chord.

Memory after memory of ways I artistically stopped, and then starved myself. It’s like going to a bakery, hungry, and just standing outside, staring into the window.

Do you know what I’m talking about?

Julia goes on to talk about how luxury helps with this anorexic behavior: “Because art is born in expansion, in a belief in sufficient supply, it is critical that we pamper ourselves for the sense of abundance it brings to us” (p. 108).

Now, she’s not talking about a $1000 spa treatment (though, if you could afford that, go ahead!). She’s talking about little things that make you feel special. Some examples she gave were new clothes, flowers, and a magazine subscription. Small gifts that make a person feel pampered.

This got me thinking about myself (surprise, surprise).

Frankly, I feel like this whole Artist’s Way journey has been a way I’ve pampered myself. I’ve loved taking the time out of my week to go on an Artist’s Date.

But, I thought that maybe I could do something else specifically for the purpose of luxury. So, I made a list of things I love or would love to do. Most of the things on my list were far-fetched (like living in Ireland) or incredibly expensive (like, living in Ireland). But, I did find a theme, and that was: travel!

Now, I don’t know about you, but my travel budget is limited. That didn’t stop me from planting the travel seed of luxury though!

I decided to order a yearly subscription to the National Geographic Traveler magazine for $10! And I think that’s a pretty great deal: 10 bucks for a year of luxury!

So, what about you? How could you give your artist-self a little luxury?



UP NEXT: Week Six exercises! Thank you, Mr. Postman!

3 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

I COMPLETELY know what you're talking about with depriving yourself of the luxury of creating. I've learned over these last few weeks that I do that all the time. And here's what I've concluded. I stop myself because I get hung up on one teeny tiny thing (like I can't figure out where the plot is going or this felt isn't cutting the right way). My goal for this week has been to push through. Because I KNOW that it's usually the time I spend in creating something that brings me joy. And it's only time that gets me to completing something.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Awesome idea! Can I please share it with our Artist´s way group? We gather every Sunday at my blog for our check in. As we are doing one chapter each two weeks you´ll soon catch up with us (we are starting chapter 10). Come for a visit! The more, the merrier. :)

Liz the Poet said...

Hi, Paula!

Sure, share whatever you'd like with your group!

I'll definitely stop by and visit. I'm glad to know that others are doing this too!